The Benefits of Yoga
There are many physical, mental and emotional health benefits associated with practicing yoga. Yoga is widely recognized for its ability to:
- Increase strength and flexibility
- Improve balance and posture
- Improve heart health by reducing stress, lowering blood pressure and slowing the heart rate
- Elevate mood and enhance concentration
- Manage chronic health conditions like insomnia, depression, low back pain and arthritis
- Detoxify the body
The Benefits of Hot Yoga
Practitioners of hot yoga receive all the traditional benefits of yoga and more! Added heat increases heart rate, which encourages the body to spend more energy (calories) in its efforts to stay cool during exercise. In addition, the warmer environment dilates the capillaries, which facilitates greater distribution of oxygen. Increasing oxygen to muscles, glands, organs and other tissues also helps remove more toxins, which results in greater benefits for the immune system. Finally, once the body is warmed through movement the heat helps the body’s natural stretch mechanism, allowing for greater range of motion in joints, muscles, and ligaments.
If you’re exploring hot yoga for the first time please read our Note on Heat to learn more about exercising in a heated environment prior to taking your first class.